Forums » News and Announcements

capable guys that can fill in on a sho

• January 6, 2020 3:46 AM EST

TORONTO -- Grey Cup MVP Kory Sheets is one of five Saskatchewan Roughriders named to the 2013 CFL all-star team. Derek Stepan Jersey . But the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, runners-up in last months CFL championship game, failed to place a single player on the team voted on by the Football Reporters of Canada and the leagues head coaches. The 10-8 Ticats had earlier placed seven players on the East Division all-star team. The Ticats tweeted they are the first team in league history to earn a spot in the Grey Cup without a single CFL all-star. That drew a "LOL" retweet from the Argonauts. The Ticats responded with a "..and we still ended your season. LOL!" tweet from the Hamilton team. That prompted a "and then what happened?" tweet from the Argos, complete with a photo of Saskatchewan quarterback Darian Durant kissing the Grey Cup. Calgary led all clubs with seven CFL all-stars, with running back Jon Cornish adding to a memorable season that has already netted him the leagues Most Outstanding Player and Outstanding Canadian awards. Toronto had five all-stars while Montreal had four, B.C. three, Edmonton two and Winnipeg one. In 2013, Cornish won his second straight rushing title by gaining 1,813 yards, fourth-highest in league history. He also led the league and set a Calgary franchise record with 2,157 yards from scrimmage. His season was marked by nine 100-yard games -- including a Stamps-record five straight -- and a career-best 208-yard outing Oct. 5 against Winnipeg. Sheets ran for more than 100 yards in the first six games of the season and finished tied with a franchise-best nine. In 15 games, he ran 287 times for 1,598 yards and caught 37 balls for 264 yards. The second-year Rider also ran for a Grey Cup-record 197 yards and two touchdowns to help the Roughriders thump the Ticats 45-23. Cornish was one of three unanimous all-star selections. The others were Calgary defensive end Charleston Hughes and Montreal receiver S.J. Green. The other Stampeder all-stars were receiver Marquay McDaniel, offensive tackle Stanley Bryant, kicker Rene Paredes, punter Rob Maver and special-teams player Larry Taylor. Ricky Ray of the Argos got the nod at quarterback, with an all-star backfield of Cornish and Sheets. The receivers were Green, McDaniel, Edmontons Fred Stamps, and Saskatchewans Weston Dressler. Ray, runner-up to Cornish for Most Outstanding Player, had a record-breaking year marred only by injury and the loss to Hamilton in the Eastern final. In 10 games, Ray completed 77.2 per cent of his passes (234 of 303) to erase Dave Dickensons league record of 74 per cent. For Montreal linebacker Chip Cox and Stamps, it was a fourth all-star honours. B.C. defensive tackle Jovan Olafioye and defensive back Ryan Phillips were named all-stars for the third time. Eleven others, including Cornish and Ray, were honoured for a second time. --- CFL All-Stars (x- denotes unanimous choice) Offence Quarterback: Ricky Ray, Toronto. Running Backs: x-Jon Cornish, Calgary; Kory Sheets, Saskatchewan. Receivers: x-S.J. Green, Montreal; Fred Stamps, Edmonton; Marquay McDaniel, Calgary; Weston Dressler, Saskatchewan. Centre: Jeff Keeping, Toronto. Guards: Brendon LaBatte, Saskatchewan; Chris Van Zeyl, Toronto. Tackles: Jovan Olafioye, B.C.; Stanley Bryant, Calgary. Defence Ends: x-Charleston Hughes Calgary; Alex Hall, Saskatchewan. Tackles: Khalif Mitchell, Toronto; Almondo Sewell, Edmonton. Linebackers: Chip Cox, Montreal; Adam Bighill, B.C. Lions; Henoc Muamba, Winnipeg. Cornerbacks: Geoff Tisdale, Montreal; Patrick Watkins, Toronto. Defensive Backs: Jerald Brown, Montreal; Ryan Phillips, B.C. Safety: Tyron Brackenridge, Saskatchewan. Special Teams Kicker: Rene Paredes, Calgary. Punter: Rob Maver, Calgary. Special-Teams Player: Larry Taylor, Calgary. Custom Arizona Coyotes Jerseys . Poti played in 824 regular NHL games with four teams in his career; the Edmonton Oilers, New York Rangers, New York Islanders and the Washington Capitals. Brad Richardson Jersey . His Brazilian opponents said he produced miracles. There is no doubt that Mexico goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa was the one responsible for spoiling Brazils hopes of another World Cup victory at its home tournament. TORONTO -- Toronto Blue Jays slugger Jose Bautista will likely miss a few days with a mild hamstring strain but is not expected to go on the disabled list. The all-star right-fielder had an MRI exam done Monday after leaving Sundays game in Cincinnati. "Its definitely some of the best news I could have gotten," Bautista said. "I could have got the news of a torn hamstring or a higher-grade strain. But its the lowest grade strain that there could be -- grade one -- so its day by day." Bautista said theres a "really good chance" he wont have to go on the DL and added he might even be able to return during Torontos three-game series against the New York Yankees, which began Monday night at Rogers Centre. "Im not saying a start but a pinch-hit at-bat here or there, thats a possibility," he said. The Blue Jays have led the American League East standings for the last month but they won just three games on their recent 10-game road trip. Entering play Monday, Toronto had a 1 1/2-game lead on New York and the Baltimore Orioles. Toronto lost another key player over the weekend as infielder Brett Lawrie of Langley, B.C., will miss three to six weeks with a fractured right index finger. The Blue Jays placed him on the 15-day DL on Monday and recalled outfielders Anthony Gose and Kevin Pillar from triple-A Buffalo. "We need the two extra outfielders to cover while Jose is out," said Blue Jays manager John Gibbons. "When he comes back, I dont necessarily think we need two. But for the time being, we do." "Its an opportunity for somebody," Gibbons added. "Thats what it comes down to." Lawrie is batting .244 this season with 12 homers and 38 RBIs. The Blue Jays also optioned catcher Erik Kratz to the Bisons on Monday. Bautista is enjoying another strong season with a .305 average, 15 home runs and 49 RBIs in 77 games. His defensive play has been excellent and he leads all major-league players in fan voting for the July 15 all-star game in Minnesota. He suffered the injury while trying to leg out a single in the Blue Jays 4-3 loss to the Reds. "I was running down to first and I extended my leg to step on the bag and I justt felt a little sharp pain," Bautista said. Aaron Ness Jersey. "The usual feeling when you strain a muscle. Ive been there before so I knew what was going on. I had a good idea at least. I just didnt know how bad it was. "I knew I could have made it worse by staying in the game so I came out." Gibbons was unable to provide a specific return date but was relieved it didnt appear to be a serious injury. "Hopefully just a couple days," he said. "Well see." The Blue Jays opened June with five straight wins but have gone 4-11 since, entering the series opener against the Yankees. The timing of the injuries and the recent slide have not helped ease concerns from a jittery fanbase that the teams rare first-place run could soon come to an end, especially with New York and Baltimore now so close in the standings. "I dont think it should be blown out of proportion," Bautista said. "I think we have capable guys that can fill in on a short-term basis and hopefully do a great job. "Certainly the other guys that are in the lineup that are still regulars, they are plenty good to carry the offence and the team on the field. So I wouldnt blow it out of proportion." At the end of his five-minute pre-game availability, Bautista was asked what hed say to the portion of the fanbase who believes the teams strong play last month was an aberration, and that the results from the last two weeks are more the expected norm. "Well good for them," he said. "I dont have to defend ourselves. If they want to root for the Yankees or the Red Sox, be my guest. They shouldnt be Jays fans if thats how they feel. Thats my opinion." Torontos lineup card for the opener of the three-game series against the Yankees had a different look. Designated hitter Adam Lind moved into Bautistas No. 3 slot, batting behind shortstop Jose Reyes and left-fielder Melky Cabrera. First baseman Edwin Encarnacion remained in the cleanup spot and centre-fielder Colby Rasmus batted fifth and catcher Dioner Navarro was in the No. 6 spot. Third baseman Juan Francisco batted seventh, ahead of second baseman Munenori Kawasaki and right-fielder Gose. ' ' '