Forums » News and Announcements

The Celebrations chocolate box

• 2785 posts
    January 11, 2023 3:50 AM EST

The Celebrations chocolate box almost had a completely different name

A new UK documentary has revealed that one of our most iconic Christmas variety boxes nearly had a completely different name.Get more news about Chocolate Box,you can vist our website!

Mars Wrigley’s iconic Celebrations chocolates are a festive mainstay – the ideal Secret Santa gift, stocking filler, or post-lunch treat – with their popularity explored in Channel 4 documentary, The Secret World of Christmas Chocolate.

One of the people behind the famous red tub of chocolates, General Manager of Mars, Michelle Frost, delved into where the idea for them came from – and what they almost could’ve been.“I usually get my best ideas in the bath. And there’s always a joke at work: ‘Oh God, Michelle’s been in the bath again. Watch out, everybody,” Ms Frost said, adding the confectionery market in the ’90s was “boring” and “traditional”.

“Anyway, I was having this bath, mulling this conundrum: ‘What can I do that’s different?’ And then it dawned on me. ‘I know what we need to do. We need to use the chocolates that everybody loves.’”Once the call to make miniature versions of Maltesers, Twix and Snickers (and Bounty, R.I.P), they had to come up with a name. “Then I had to think about, ‘What are we going to call this thing?’” Frost recalled. “There were two names that stuck out to me – one was Celebrations and one was Jamboree. But Celebrations just summed up the occasion that we wanted people to use this product for.”

They then “came up with this idea of using the logos from the brand, as part of [the word] Celebrations. So the ‘b’ is the b that you see on Bounty, and the ‘s’ is the s from the Mars bar,” she explained.

“Not many people realise that as they’ve got so used to seeing that as the Celebrations logo that they don’t really know how it started.” The revelation comes after the humble Bounty Bar found itself under threat in the UK, with Mars launching a trial in the lead-up to Christmas to see if chocolate lovers would miss the coconut delight. Extra Mars, Snickers, Milky Way, Teasers and Galaxy bars were added to make up for the Bounty’s absence.Christmas is the time for giving – but it seems this year, the British public are keen for us to take away the Bounty,” Celebrations spokeswoman, Emily Owen, said early last month. “Off the back of public demand, we’re trialling taking them out of tubs altogether.” But she warned: “You don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone.”

Many chocolate lovers took to social media to express their anger at the decision, while others happily wished the coconut-flavoured chocolate adieu.