Forums » News and Announcements

These Silicone Cooking Utensils Are the Best Sauce Scrapers

• 2864 posts
    February 20, 2022 11:48 PM EST

These Silicone Cooking Utensils Are the Best Sauce Scrapers

It often feels hyperbolic to call a kitchen tool “life-changing”, but there are a few hallowed items that really do live up to the distinction. Perhaps the most humble—and certainly the cheapest—is a silicone spoonula. I probably have half a dozen different sizes in my kitchen drawers at this point. I love them for making oatmeal in the morning. I love them for scooping out yogurt into a measuring cup. And, of course, I love them for how cleanly and quickly they can scrape sauce out of a pan. Once you use one, I promise you will never go back to stirring with a wooden spoon.Get more news about Silicone Kitchen Utensils,you can vist our website!

While the silicone spoonula may have been my introduction to the material, I now own a wide range of silicone utensils—whisks, baking mats, even waffle tongs—that I swear by. Silicone utensils are durable, versatile, and never damage pots and pans the way metal or wooden pieces can. So which utensil set is best for you? We’ve consulted experts, tested models, and scoured the internet for the best silicone cooking utensils for the home chef. Read on for six of our absolute favorites.

Advantages Over Traditional Materials: There are many reasons to use silicone instead of other materials, but probably the number one reason people first invest in silicone-constructed utensils is the delightful squeegee effect when you’re trying to scrape every last bit of sauce out of a pan. “[They’re also] better for use in nonstick cookware because the silicone won’t scratch any cookware surface; can be used at higher temperatures than nylon and other plastics; and they’re dishwasher-safe,” says Tracy Godshall, OXO senior product manager.

Ease of Cleaning: “I always wash them in hot, soapy water,” says Elisa Marshall, owner of Maman and co-author of Maman: The Cookbook. “For those that are ‘more loved’ than others or have residue on them, I will often use a little bit of baking soda with a sponge. That makes for a more abrasive surface and a better clean, while also sanitizing them and removing any odors.” They are also dishwasher-safe, but you do want to be careful about the kind of soap you use. If there is one downside to silicone, it’s that the material can sometimes capture odors or flavors. For that reason, it’s best to wash them with unscented detergent. But the easiest way to remove unwanted smells or flavors? Bake the pieces at a low temperature, like 250 degrees Fahrenheit, for anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes.

Versatility and Durability: “I use the silicone utensils exactly the same as I would the metal ones—and almost all utensils are available in silicone these days,” says Marshall. Silicone is also incredibly durable: You can drop these babies hundreds of times and they’ll literally just bounce back. For that reason, they’re excellent for young chefs. “My 2-year-old son loves being in the kitchen beside me, and I just purchased a set for him as well,” she says. “I don’t have to worry about any sharp edges or him damaging any of his kitchen toys with them.”